2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Two Masters

You cannot serve both God and moneyImage by skambalu via Flickr
I had a job once where I had two bosses.  It was a partnership and they both were equal partners.  I had the pleasure of working for both of them.

Each had their own way of doing things, completely different from the other.  Their personalities were like night and day.  In the beginning, things were not too bad.  I learned each of their ways and rarely confused the two.  I was able to keep things separated.

As time went on I grew close to one boss and grew to despise the other.  Once was rude and arrogant, belittling and condescending.  The other, although he had his moments, was usually kind and appreciative of the work I was doing.  The arrogant one could tell that I hated doing his work and would often make comments about it.  He noticed that I was more devoted to doing the other ones work.  I always did everything I was supposed to do,  but I did it with spite and resentment.

Most of the time in our life we believe that we can be of the world and still serve God.  We think that we can keep up with things and keep the two separated.  But as time goes by, we end up getting closer to one and further away from the Other.  Just like I did with my two bosses.

The Bible warns us of this, it tells us the consequences when we attempt to serve both.  When we try, we end us getting so involved, so engulfed with the world that we lose sight of God and can no longer see Him.  Sometimes we even forget He exist at all.  Things may be good for awhile until realize that we are lost and can't find our way out.  The things of this world are only temporary.  But God, oh  HE is forever.

God should always be first, ahead of everything else in our life.  There should be nothing that we put before Him.  Whether it be work, money, fame, even family.  God should always be first in our life.  Because when He is first then everything else just falls into place.  Unlike when we put the world ahead of Him. With God first, we will never lose sight of the path ahead and He will bless us beyond measure.

The things of this world can corrupt us, it just so easily lures us in.  Our hearts become cold, we become spiteful, bitter, arrogant. We want things, we want to show off our wealth or what ever it is that we have that is better then someone else's. We want more and more. We become lovers of the world, mainly money.  We forget God, or just outright despise Him. 

I am not saying that money is evil, but if you put it ahead of God it is.

So my question to you.  Who will you serve? 

Luke 16:13 (NIV) "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I have spent my entire walk with God contemplating this very thing. Lovely post! Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete