2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

They Don't Deserve It

filthy ragsImage by Amydeanne via Flickr
So often being the self righteous person that I am, I find myself thinking that of other people, that they don't deserve it.  When good things happen to what I think is not a good person, or if I just think that I deserve it more. Like I gave myself the authority to be the ultimate judge of character. 

Once again God stops me in my tracks and I hear him say "and who are you?"  Yes, I know.  I am nothing but a sinner myself, actually a self righteous sinner.

No matter how hard we try, we often find ourselves judging other people, based on what we see. But whether we believe them to be good or bad, that is not the point.  It is not for us to decide, because only God knows the heart.  We can't judge a book by its cover, just as we can't judge people by just what we see.  Sometimes, people are exactly what we think they are, but God still loves them.  Just as He still loves me, especially when I don't deserve it. 

When we choose to be a "Christian" and by that I mean a follower of Christ, sometimes we think we know everything.  We think we have all of the answers and we think we know better.  We forget who we once were and where we have been and we become self righteous.  We judge others, we turn our noses up at others, we shake our head at others.  We think to ourselves "At least I'm not like that."  Shame on me.  I know better than that.  Because even though I call myself a "Christian"  I am still a sinner, I sin daily, no matter how hard I try not to.  God loves sinners, God loves me and you.

It is so easy to become self righteous.  Most of the time it is because we don't want to see our own sins or issues.  It is easier to judge other people then to deal with our own problems.   We all fall short the grace of God.  But HE still gives it to us all.  So the next time I find myself being self righteous,  Lord please stop me!!

Isaiah 64:4-9 (NIV)4 Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him. 5 You come to the help of those who gladly do right, who remember your ways. But when we continued to sin against them, you were angry. How then can we be saved? 6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. 7 No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you; or you have hidden your face from us and made us waste away because of our sins. 8 Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. we are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. 9 Do not be angry beyond measure, O LORD; do not remember our sins forever. Oh, look upon us, we pray,
for we are all your people.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. That is just so true.. Which is the main reason why I turned into writing.. Writing takes time and to me, it mean reflecting at which I stopped and tell myself God loves that very person who appears to me as someone who dont deserve it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My writing has become my therapy also, it helps me to realize my flaws. Thanks for reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post you know it's so refreshing for me to see someone say how God stops them in their tracks. It's like I see other people doing and saying anything they want but the moment I try doing it God stops me quickly. And I've learned over the years that when He stops me the first time I better stop. He knows how to get my attention I tell you..so times I sit back and I am just amazed at how He does it. And I know it's for the best. Thank you for sharing and being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is how we know that there is a great change going on inside of us. We give our hearts to Him and He molds us into the people we were meant to be!!! Thanks for reading!!!

    ReplyDelete