2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Less Than 5%

I haven't been writing much lately.  Guess I really haven't been feeling that inspired.  And of course, just when I am feeling hopeless God reminds me of just who He is.


I overheard my dad talking to someone at church this past weekend.  Me being the nosey person that I am went over to join in on the conversation.  My dad was talking about his cancer and sharing all the things he had learned. 

After the other person left my dad and I kept talking about his treatments and so on.  Then he told me something that he had never told me before.  I always thought that I had all of facts and the information but there was somethings that my dad left out.

You see the first time he was diagnosed with cancer his success rate of beating the disease was 80-90%.  I will take those odds any day.  The second time his success rate was lowered drastically. This time the cancer had spread to his neck.  His success rate was now 10%.  I never knew that,  I only told myself that we had beat it once we can do it again,  and he did.  He beat it a second time.

Then it came back a third time and when the odds were stacked against him and his success rate was now less than 5%, he opted for no treatment at all.  I never realized why he didn't do the treatment this time. Defeated and short on time he decided to go home that summer (he is from Honduras) for what he thought would probably be the last time.  It was there that his brother introduced him to alternative methods and therapies.  He thought why not, he had nothing to lose.  That was five years ago.

His doctors told him, he should not have lived this long.  He defied their odds without their treatment and that has them completely confused.  They cannot understand why he is till here.

And though I am sure that the alternative methods did play their part, I know that God is the real reason he is still here.  He is not finished with him yet.  Man could only give my dad less than 5%, but God, He can make the impossible possible.

It is almost like I can hear God saying to me, "DO YOU NOT KNOW, I AM GOD! It  doesn't matter what man tells you I am greater then he."  He always gives exactly what I need at exactly the right time.  He reminds me of who He is and the magnitude of His power.

So when the odds are stacked against you, just remember my dad and his less than 5%.

Matthew 19:26 (NIV) 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Enhanced by Zemanta