2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Not By Sight


The other day when I was taking my evening walk, I decided to try an experiment.  I decided to close my eyes and try to walk the path that I walked daily.  Once I closed my eyes it was difficult, I kept veering to the side.  I kept opening my eyes out of fear of running into something.  I wasn't walking by faith, just not by sight.  After a total of two minutes into this experiment I gave up, it just wasn't worth it.

I've been struggling with a lot lately; work, finances, family.  Sometimes it hard to trust that everything is going to work out.  When doubt sets in. Its not always easy to walk by faith.  Sometimes it is just plain difficult.  We keep opening our eyes afraid of running into something, not trusting that God will guide our way. Every hope, every dream is all in faith.  And sometimes we are so afraid that our hopes and dreams will never happen. We are so wrapped up in our current situation that we just can't see the bigger picture.

How do we keep faith, especially when we cannot see?

When Peter walked on water with Jesus, it was through faith alone.  He believed in Jesus and believed in His power.  But then he took his eyes off of Jesus, and fear began to set in and he sank into the sea only to be saved by an outstretched hand.  He doubted for a moment and that moment caused him to sink.  How many times do we lose our faith and sink?  How many times does doubt get the best of us? How many times do we just reject that outstretched hand?

I have found that through my trials, my faith always seems to get stronger. It may not always start out that way, but in the end I know who to trust. The Lord has always provided a roof over my head and food in belly.  He has always made sure that my ever need has been met.  I may not always get what I want.  But having faith means that we trust that God knows what we really need.  And that is something that we can place all of our hopes and dreams in, we just have to have faith. 

Matthew 14:28-33 (NIV) 28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
29"Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" 32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

1 comment:

  1. Omg, did we happen to write about the same thing (Faith) unknowingly? Omg, I just couldn't believe it.. How timely.. Check it out at http://www.tingvine.com/2010/09/planes-made-by-no-one-faith.html if you are free.. I guessed, our writings are just another small signs from God as to what our heart is seeking.. *Hug*

    ReplyDelete