2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Kinder Than Necessary

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is...Image by quinn.anya via Flickr
“Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.” ~ Anonymous

Have you ever had to deal with someone that you just didn't like?  Have you ever had to deal with someone that you couldn't stand to be around?  Someone with an attitude.  Someone who is always ugly to you.  Someone that your couldn't possibly see any good in.

The other day I had to deal with a person that I didn't like very much.   Someone who has a history of being rude and obnoxious to me. I was  prepared and ready to deal with them.  Then when I saw that person I was humbled, for a moment my heart actually went out to them.  It is almost as if God had me see them through his eyes.  I felt an overwhelming need to just be as kind as I could to them, regardless of our past.

Sometimes people are mean for a reason.  Sometimes it is their only way of dealing with a situation, a situation that they cannot control.  Sometimes people take their feelings out on other people.  Sometimes our situations define us and make us someone we don't want to be.

In everything that we do, we should always try to be kind.  With all of the battles that we deal with daily, we need to remember that we are not the only ones.  Everyone has their battles. But through our kindness, through our humility maybe they can see something more.

I'm not saying that we should be push overs but sometimes we just need to be kinder than necessary

Colossians 3:12 (NIV, ©2010) 12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

4 comments:

  1. What a great quote and yes, I've had my own dealings with the "unlovely," but you're so right... we have no idea what's really happening in their lives. In fact, our kindness may be just the glimpse of Jesus that they need. I found you over at Desiray's and I'm so glad I stopped by! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by I will checking your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinder than necessary.. It set me thinking for a couple of days and even until today.. ;)

    Thanks for sharing.. This certainly is going to sit in me for a long (long while)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. Sometimes I just like to think "Because he/she doesn't like me, I won't like him", and I ignore the person, but that is the wrong thing to do. We should be following Jesus as our example.

    He showed us kindness, even when we fully ignored him. We need to now share that kindness and love with others.

    ReplyDelete