2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Church is for Sinners

[Hitterdals Church, Telemarken (i.e, Telemark)...Image by The Library of Congress via Flickr
When I was growing up my mom used to always tell me that church is for sinners. It used to drive me crazy because I didn't quite understand what she was talking about. I remember an incident in particular happened with certain members of our church and I said to my mother that I couldn't believe that they were still coming to church after all of that, she  told me "Church is for sinners." Her comment made me so angry, what was that supposed to mean?

It goes back to my ideals as a child, I always thought that church was for perfect people, a place where sinless people congregate to worship a perfect God. I was way off?

However, my ideals as a child are close to  a lot of ideals of many adults.  There are a lot of people that think the way I thought when I was a child.  They talk about other's sins, turn their noses up.  Point out other's sins, other's stumbling blocks.  Then I realized that they are just sinners too.  Maybe they just don't realize it.

Church is for sinners.  It a place for imperfect people to worship a perfect God.  A God that loves us so much that He gave His only begotten Son, to save us.  Why is there so much controversy at church, because what else is going to happen when you get a whole bunch of self righteous sinners together?  No offense.  Not everybody is like that, but you will find some. 

Church is a place where we can meet God, where we can feel God.  A place where we gather with others like us, who share in the same burdens, the same struggles.  Its a place where we should feel at peace.  A place where we belong.  So often it is not the case.  But we much always remember that church is for sinners. That way we don't become one of those, like me when I was a child, like me now.

Faith in itself is for sinners.  The faith in Someone who can completely transform us in to the person we are supposed to be.  The faith that one day we will be sinless.  The faith that that we are loved regardless of whether we sin or not.

The truth is God hates the sin, but He loves the sinner.  He loves me. Don't not go meet Him, because you think you are not good enough.  He made this place for you.  Come as you are!!

Romans 5:8 (NIV) But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are so right about it.. Many, just too many, see the faults of others, expecting only the good from others, especially in Church.. Most of us forgot that Jesus came for sinners and we all are..
    Oh yes, I have something for you, a surprise for you on my Multi-Blogging.. Here is the direct link http://www.tingsploration.com/2010/10/my-1st-award-in-my-writing-world.html
    Yeah, I think you deserve it.. Both of you blogs inspired me much, as well as showing me the love from a mum.. :) Come quick and check it out.. :) *Hug*

    ReplyDelete