2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Strangely Dim

Heaven is a place on earthImage by alles-schlumpf via Flickr
Here lately, I find myself feeling sorry for myself. More often then I would like to say.  You know the "poor me"  attitude.  When things never seem to go our way, when everything seems to go wrong.  When our finances look meek,  when our life looks bland.  There is always a reason for us to feel sorry for ourselves.

I don't have this, I can't afford that.  I get mistreated at work, at home, by my family.  The list goes on and on.  We love to give ourselves a pity party, it makes us feel better.

So what do you do? Well, we can spend a lot of time feeling sorry for ourselves, or we can do something about it. The truth is life isn't fair. And while we are having our little pity party there are others who have things much worse than we ever will.  Everyone has something difficult to deal with.  Sometimes we focus so much on what we don't have, that we forget everything we do.

One thing we need to remember is, it is not about this life.  We need to keep our focus on things above, not things on this earth.  The things of this earth are only temporary.  But God has promised us more then we could ever imagine.  He has promised us a perfect future, an eternal life with no pain, no trouble, no sorrow.  No worrying about what we will eat, where we will sleep.  No bills, no financial issues.  God has taken care of it all.  All you have to do is believe in Him. 

Things of this earth may seem so appealing.  We want, we want, we want. Compared to what God has promised, the things of this earth look strangely dim, unappealing and unnecessary.  I've got bigger plans and I need to start investing in that.  This world has nothing for me.  I have set my sights on things above.  Now to patiently wait for Christ's return.

So what are you investing in?

Colossians 3:1-2 (KJV)1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

John 14:1-4 (NIV)1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus, Helen H. Lemmel, 1922
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment