2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, October 18, 2010

What Will People Think?

Jesus Freak (song)Image via Wikipedia
When I first thought about becoming a "Christian" or better put, when I first thought about giving my life to God,  one of the first things that crossed my mind was "what would people think?"  I was worried about what others would say or call me behind my back, or even to my face.  I didn't want to be labeled as a "Holy Roller" or some type of "Goodie, Goodie", or even worse "Jesus Freak." I didn't want people to laugh and make fun of me. 

I guess a part of me always worried about what people thought of me.  What would happen if they didn't want to be around me anymore?  What is they stopped talking to me?

So,  I thought maybe I would just keep things to myself for awhile.  But, somethings I just couldn't hide.  I stopped drinking, I no longer wanted to go out to bars.  There were a lot of things that I just wasn't interested in doing anymore. My whole attitude started to change.  I was becoming the labels that I had dreaded.

But the closer I got to God, the less it mattered. When you give your life to God, you change.  Everything changes.  Things that were just so important to you aren't anymore.  You begin to care less and less about what people think about you.  Eventually you don't care at all what people think.  You set your sights on things above and see you life here on earth as temporary.  You begin to see people through God's eyes.  When you give your life to God, you worry less and less about this world and the labels they may give you. 

These days I will gladly wear the title of "Jesus Freak",  "Holy Roller" or what ever other label one may give me.  If that label means that they know Who I follow, and Who I have given my life to, then they can call me anything they want.

Philippians 3:20 (KJV) 20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. You know I believe every person who gave their life to Christ thought the same thing. I know I thought it and was called it once I told people, at first it hurt my feelings but as time went on I realized that the people who was saying that just did not know what else to say. They did not understand so they call it what they thought it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) :) I can relate to that because I had been through.. The worse part was from my relative and it hurts for awhile..
    You inspired me to write an article about something I have been through.. Will get back to you and link it back to you when I am done.. :)
    Thanks for this brave sharing, dear.. :)

    ReplyDelete