2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Anger

A metaphorical visualization of the word Anger.Image via Wikipedia
Have you ever had someone do something to you that made you really angry? You spend countless hours obsessing over it only to find out that they are over it.  You put so much time and energy being angry that you eventually forget what it was that you were angry about in the first place.  All you remember is that you are angry.

Sometimes anger gets the best of us.  It is not to say that there aren't legitimate reasons to get angry.  But what do you do about the situation?  Do you let it consume you?  Do you keep obsessing about it?  Is it tearing your apart?  Anger can fester and explode.  Anger can twist us up inside and turn us into someone that we don't want to be. Anger can literally make us ill.  Not dealing with our anger can do a lot of damage.  It opens a door for the devil to enter making our situation even worse. At that point our anger can take on a life of its own.

So how do we not let our anger get the best of us?  That is a hard one, in fact I am still working on that one.  But I have found that the more that I am willing to let things go the better I feel.  When I release that burden of anger, because holding anger can be a great burden,  it is such a peaceful feeling.  I feel renewed. 

Anger itself is not the sin but when we let it consume us, when we become obsessed with it, it becomes a sin. God doesn't want us to carry that burden around.  He wants us to be happy, compassionate and forgiving.   A life full of anger is no life at all.  Only God can give us the strength we need to let things go, so that we are not angry anymore.

Ephesians 4:26-27, 31-32  (NIV) 26 “In your anger do not sin”[a]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment