2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What Goes Around, Comes Around

what goes around, comes aroundImage by galo/* via Flickr
Should we as "Christians" actually take comfort in that saying?  Should it make us feel better that someone that has wronged us will eventually "get theirs"?  Should we really be that vial and revengeful?  What is it about us human nature that makes us so fueled on "payback"?

I too often find myself feeling comforted with that idea with that saying, even going so far as to say it out loud. But today it actually struck a cord.  I caught myself, asking myself, should I really feel this way.  Should I really be that consumed with it?  Should I really be comforted by believing that?  And if I do,what kind of person does that make me?  Not any better then the person that I have ill feelings towards.

It is almost human nature for us to want someone who has wronged us to, have the same happen to them.  When someone is crude, rude, vengeful or just plain spiteful, we just can't help but feel that they deserve something bad to happen to them.  That they should get a dose of their own medicine, that they should get a taste of what they give.

Although there are scriptures, such as Isaiah 3:11 (KJV) "11Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him."   What Jesus really tries to teach us is compassion.  I know it is easier said then done, but taking the high road usually is.  We have treat people with compassion, even those that treat us unfairly.  Because it is only through that compassion that they may see a true reflection of God.

There is always a reason for people spiteful actions, but we as "Christians" have to look past that.  We have to see them with compassion, through God's eyes.

We shouldn't take comfort in knowing that they will "get theirs", only take comfort in knowing that God knows their true heart, as well as ours, because we are all stained and we all fall short.

Luke 6:27-36 (NIV, ©2010)


Love for Enemies


27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.


32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment