2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Could I Have Done More

A car accident in Tokyo, Japan.Image via Wikipedia
I witnessed a car accident today.  It wasn't a really bad one, but it did have me shocked for a bit.  The truth is I couldn't even tell you how it happened.  I was stopped at a red traffic light messing with the radio waiting for the light to turn green.   I looked up for a second and witnessed the impact, saw the airbags deploy.  Frozen for a moment unsure of what had just happened. 

After I saw that everyone was ok and a few people stopped to help, I drove away.  Now I used the excuse that the little one was with me so I couldn't really stop to help. The truth is I was in a hurry and trying to get to the store across the street.  So the question that I keep asking myself is "could I have done more?"  I went to call 911 when I saw someone else running to the scene on his phone.  I didn't want to bombard 911 with numerous calls so I hung up.  I didn't wait around, I didn't even know how the accident happened or who even was at fault to even give a statement.

If I was alone would I have stopped to help?  I hope I would have. 

I always try to go above and beyond, but sometimes like today, I walk away.  I make up excuses to hide the fact that I am just plain lazy or busy with something else.  But I don't want the question "could I have done more?" to haunt me, like it did today.  Even though my stopping may not have even mattered, it would have mattered to me.

How many times to we get so caught up in ourselves that stop wanting to help others.  We make excuses and put the burden on others.  I am not saying we need to consume ourselves with other peoples problems, but help as much as we can, when we can.

Jesus always went above and beyond, even when it wasn't convenient. He always made time and always did more, never questioning whether He did enough. My goal in life is to be just like Him. 

I don't want to be too busy or too lazy to do what is right.  And I don't want to keep asking myself, "could I have done more?"

Philippians 2:3-4 (NIV, ©2010) 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Luke 6:38 (NIV, ©2010) 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this statement "Jesus always went above and beyond, even when it wasn't convenient." This is true, and we typically think of the fact that we should have gone above and beyond when it's a tragic event. But.. what about if it is simply being a friend? I have had friends who were only a friend when it was convenient or when it benefited them. And while I think I do pretty good in this area, Iam sure there have been times when I have done the same. Loved this blog. Thanks for being so real and honest.

    ReplyDelete