2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gifts from God

I had a difficult time getting pregnant with my first child.  I went through the monthly ritual of getting excited and taking a test only for it to come out negative.  My doctor wanted me to try for a year or two and if I didn't have any success then he would start running tests.  After a year of disappointment I demanded that he run the test that he had mentioned prior.

The test were run and it turns out that my body didn't make enough of the hormone it needed for me to get pregnant. Another year of pills and disappointment followed.  I prayed and prayed that God would give me a child.  Night after night after night through my tears begging God to give me a child.  For two years I begged God for a child.  (I know that my two years is nothing compared to others that have had difficulty having children, but my two years seemed like an eternity.)

Month after month of heartbreak,  all of my friends were getting pregnant.  What was wrong with me? I eventually got to the point where I wondered if it were ever going to happen.  My husband and I started looking at other options like adoption.  My prayers started to change I no longer begged God for a child.  Instead I asked God for a child but also asked that if I were not to be a mother that he would at least give me the strength to accept it. 

About two months later I became pregnant with my first child.  The point is, that God answered my prayers.  When I decided to give it all to Him and surrender to His will, He gave me the ultimate gift.

Children are a gift from God, no matter how you get them.  Whether it is through childbirth, adoption or some other method,  life is never the same once they enter it.  My kids remind me that with all the wrong that I have done in my life, that I must have done something right to receive such a spectacular gift from God.

I decided to write this post on my sons eighth birthday.  For he is my absolute proof of God's existence, and my ultimate proof of God's love.
3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.

No comments:

Post a Comment