2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Mother-In-Law

Portrait of artist's wife and mother-in-lawImage via Wikipedia
My mother-in-law and I have your classic text book relationship.  She can be somewhat overbearing, controlling and sometimes insulting. But there are those moments where I take a step back and realize how truly blessed I am to have her in my life.  Today was one of those days.

Today was my son's birthday party.  It was chaotic to say the least.  It was at the skating rink with eight other parties, seriously.  Lesson learned, never doing that again. In the midst of the insanity I kind of snapped at her a little.  You see sometimes she likes to run the show, and I like to run the show.  So you see my dilemma.  She thought that we should open presents and I wanted to sing "Happy Birthday", first.  It my party I wanted it my way.  You see my attitude, right? 

Well the staff wasn't very helpful and we had to track people down to get anything done.  We finally sang "Happy Birthday" and it was time to cut the cake.  Well I am cutting this cake with a plastic butter knife and trying to get it on the plates and passed around.  The staff at the place were no help.  In my moment of about to panic, my mother-in-law steps in and saves the day.  She was there getting her hands dirty with cake putting them on the plates and passing them around as I cut the cake with the plastic butter knife.  In that moment I realized that I really need to appreciate her more.  Even after snapping at her she still decided to help.  Anyone else may have left me to shear disaster.

Honoring our mother and father doesn't just apply to our own parents, it applies to other parents as well, especially our in-laws.  Yeah, sometimes you may not see eye to eye and other times totally disagree.  But they are there for the long haul.  And if you take the time to see they good that they do, you might not be so consumed by the rest.  And maybe just maybe next time hold your tongue.

Exodus 20:12 (NIV, ©2010)  12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Ephesians 6:2 (NIV, ©2010) 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—










Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being so open, and being willing to admit your own short comings as well. Great blog

    ReplyDelete