2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Protection

Individual ProtectionImage by Martin Gommel via Flickr
There recently was a horrible accident in town.  A young child was killed while attempting to get on the school bus.  The other morning on the radio they were reporting new details on the case.  As I started to listen I realized that my eight year old was in the back listening also.  The report began to get a little graphic as to the horrific injuries to this young child, so I turned the radio down so my little one couldn't hear.

My son didn't say anything, he just sat quietly in the back.  But I knew he heard a little. He worries a lot about things, things that he shouldn't be worrying about.  So I knew that if he heard too much it could harm him. So, for a long as I can I will try to protect his innocence, his naivety, his faith.

God wants to protect us from harm, just like I wanted to protect my son.  How many times has he shielded you?  God knows what is best for us, but just like my son we are all curious of the unknown.  Even when the unknown could hurt us. But just how my son trusts that I know what is best for him,  We should always trust that God knows best for us.  He will always protect us, we just have to let him.

Psalm 4:8 (NIV, ©2011) 8 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 32:7 (NIV, ©2011) 7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I am not a parent, but I have always imagined it is hard to achieve the balance between teaching and preparing, and protecting. A little neighbor boy sometimes gets forgotten or locked out of his house after school. I "rescued" him several times and he got to the place that when he got locked out he would just walk up my drive and knock. Well a couple times he would watch cartoons with my husband (who was sick with cancer at the time) and they would giggle and laugh. The last time the little boy came over, my husband was not there he had passed away. The little boy asked where my husband was...I opened my mouth and didn't know what to say. He is only 7, and I am not his mom or anything other than a good friend to him, it was not my place to open the discussion about death. Well done Mom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! I have a little worrier too, she's almost 9, so I know exactly where you're coming from. She sometimes doesn't want to do things because she's worried and I make her do it anyway and she ends up having a great time. I say to her with a smile... "Now, will you trust me that I know what's best for you?" I imagine God says that very same thing to us when we step out our fear and into faith to find that He was right and we were wrong. Great analogy. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well.

    Have a blessed day!

    In Christ,
    Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are so right to try and protect him from information that would cause him to be anxious. Sadly enough the news is seldom happy and even TV advertisements and etc. or not safe. Our children are exposed to so much. I guess that if they do hear or see something that is not good we need to have a calm talk with them. I guess on the other hand they also need to have good life experiences and that means they will have to step out in faith and learn about the world they live in. We need to trust them and they need to trust us and most importantly they need to trust Our heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ.
    Blessings to you! LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Protecting my three boys is one of my utmost concerns: I cannot imagine serious harm coming to them.

    God has protected me countless times that I can think of and well, all the times I am unaware of probably number in the thousands.

    ReplyDelete