2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, August 13, 2010

The Unexpected

gracie at the beachImage by john curley via Flickr
His appointment was at 9:30 this morning at MD Anderson.  It was there that his oncologist would reveal the results of his PET scan.  He had been in almost unbearable pain for the past couple of weeks, so he had prepared himself for the worst news possible.  It seemed as though time was passing so slow, as if in slow motion waiting for the appointment and the results. He had the scan done and now it was the waiting game.

I got the phone call about 10:00am, his voice was trembling.  I could tell something was not right.  I was at an appointment myself and was waiting (but my appointment was nothing to worry about).  He asked if I would like for him to call me back when I was finished.  Of course I said, "No, I want to know now.  Is it bad?"  That is when I could hear his voice break down, "No", he said, "It's not bad, not bad at all".   It was actually the best results that he could possibly get.  He had been preparing himself for such bad news that he didn't know what to do when the news was good.  His scan showed no cancer.  Most of his pain is caused by an infection in his mouth and he was given medication to treat it. 

Last night was rough, waiting, knowing that it is what it is. But not knowing what it is.  I was overwhelmed with anxiety and couldn't sleep.  I went to the upper room (I will post about that later) and fell to my knees.  I prayed that God would heal my dad, and then I asked that if the news was bad that he would just give us all the strength to endure it.  Not just to give us strength but to be our strength.  After that I was calm enough to eventually fall asleep.

I was ready for the news, good or bad.  Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. I had put it in God's hands and knew that whatever the results, I knew that God's will would be done.

I was ready to write a post of the worst case scenario and how I would have faith that God would provide and take care of us.  This news was the most unexpected, and I couldn't be happier.

Life is full of the unexpected, we never know when it is our time, and it could end at any moment. We have to embrace the good and accept the bad.  We have to make the best of every situation.  It is all a walk in faith.
Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment