2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reflection

analyzing mirror self-recognitionImage by TheAlieness GiselaGiardino²³ via Flickr
What you see when you look in the mirror, isn't exactly what other people see when they look at you. 

I was reminded that today when I was taking my evening power walk.  One of my neighbors down the street told me that if I keep walking I might just melt.  I thought to myself maybe because its so hot.  I do live in South Louisiana.  Then I got to thinking that maybe he was paying me a compliment.  Weird but anyway.

So it go me to wondering,  what do people see when they look at me?  When I see my reflection I see someone who needs to lose a few pounds, tone up, get rid of the baby fat (yes, she is two).  I also see scars and stretch marks, thinning hair.  But is that what other people see when they look at me?  My neighbor got me to thinking.  (It's still weird, but anyway)

What do people see when they look at me?  Not just from a physical standpoint.  What do people think of me?  What am I reflecting?  Does it really matter what I see in the mirror? 

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I see when I look in the mirror.  The only thing that matters is what I reflect to others.  My warped view of myself  makes me my own worst enemy, so therefore my opinion of myself has no bearing.  I am not talking about what people see physically when they look at me, I can't change that.  Most of us see things that other people don't even notice, anyway.  But I can control what reflection they see.  I can reflect kindness and humility.  I can be a reflection of God, or at least try to be.  If only I could see that when I look in the mirror, maybe I wouldn't worry about the rest so much.

All that I have seen teaches me to trust God for all I have not seen. ~Author Unknown

2 Corinthians 3:18 (NKJV) But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment