2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Pitch Black

Oil lampImage by ralphunden via Flickr
I am 33 years old and I will admit that sometimes I am afraid of the dark.  I always have been.  I don't have a little night light or anything. I deal with it, except when I am home alone then I have to sleep with the light or the TV on.  Most nights I literally turn off the light and fly into my bed, pull the covers up over me as if I am safe on base. 

Silly I know, but I have a crazy imagination.  I see things, shadows and I become afraid.  As if in the darkness something will be unleashed and get me.  I know I am talking like my 7 year old, but that's ok. 

The other night the electricity went out around midnight.  It wouldn't have been a big deal since I am usually sleeping at that time.  Of course this night in particular my 2 year old wakes up screaming.  She wasn't feeling very good.  So I got up with her , the room, the house, was pitch black.  I am walking around the dark house holding her singing.  I began to get a little claustrophobic in the dark as I had succumb to my fear. I couldn't turn on the light, I couldn't find a light. There was nothing but me and the darkness. But why was I so afraid, there was nothing there?

On the darkest of nights at the depths of my fear, I forgot. I forgot about my Light.  My Light that shines in the darkest of nights.  A Light that will drive all evil away from me.  I forgot my Light. The great Light of the world.

Psalm 27:1-3 (KJV) 1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. 3Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post we all are afraid of something when I was a small child I was afraid of storms and lightening. And I use to say that the Lord is moving furniture around. funny at how when you are small you think the strangest things. Still to this day I am still afraid of storms and thundering and lightening. I know God is not moving furniture but what I do is go to a safe place in my house and sit until the Lord is done.

    ReplyDelete