2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Before I Knew

I Don't Know GodImage by gmcmullen via Flickr
I went to a birthday party this past weekend and got into a very unexpected conversation.  Another mother there started to talk to me about church and beliefs.   She was saying why she didn't go to church anymore and that there were just some things that she just didn't want to give up.

The funny thing is I knew exactly the way she felt.  I was in the exact situation before I knew.  We have a lot in common, we were both raised in a somewhat strict Christian homes, she also went to christian school.  It's hard when you are raised in a strict Christan home.  You feel like you know whats right and whats wrong and you have a sense of guilt when you do something that you feel isn't right by those standards.  Not to say that it is exactly wrong, but its the values that you are raised with so in your mind it is wrong.

Sometimes we get so caught up in what we think we are supposed to do in order to be "saved."  We see serving God as a chore or something that we have to give up so much for.  I used to think like that too.  It took me a long time to give my heart to God, because I was hesitant on giving up certain things.  I know different now. 

God wants our hearts.  He will take them any way we give them to Him.  Bruised and battered, scarred and broken, drunk or sober.  Once we give our hearts to God, the rest suddenly falls into place.  The things that we didn't think we could give up or didn't want to give up, now don't seem so appealing.  Once we give him our hearts, we no longer want to do things half way.  Our love for him and His love for us is what changes us.  If we wait to change before giving our hearts to Him we may never get the chance.  But once we give our hearts to Him, he will take care of the rest. And before we know it, we will be able to do what we once thought was impossible.
Before I knew, I thought that I had it all figured out.  Before I knew, I thought that I had to be perfect.  Before I knew, I lived in shame.  But that was all before I knew my Savior.

Jeremiah 24:7 (KJV)7And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: