2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Honor

Honor Your Parents (THE COMMANDMENTS)Image by loswl via Flickr
What does it mean to honor someone?? By definition honor means - to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.

I had quite a morning this morning.  It started at 6:00 am,  well for me that is early.  I had to bring my dad to have a procedure done since my mom was out of town.   I complained a little about having to take a vacation day in order to go with him, but I did it, because I am his daughter and that is what I am supposed to do.  So I spent an uneventful morning waiting for my dad's procedure to be done, comprised of reading magazines and watching Fox News.  The procedure didn't really take that long and by 10:30 am we were already back home.  But I still needed me to make sure that he was ok before I could leave, even through I would be checking up on him periodically during the day.

Well, on the way home he stuck some money in my purse, he said it for me having to take the day off to help him.  I gave it back to him and told him that was my job and that I was taking a vacation day and was getting paid anyway.  But he insisted anyway and stuck it back in my purse.

I know that I complained about having to take a vacation day, but he is my dad. There was no way I was taking money from him for that, I'm his daughter it is my job to take care of him. I didn't want him to feel like he owed me anything for being there. I know that there are some situations where I maybe would have taken the money, if I wasn't working or wasn't getting paid for the time off, maybe I would have taken the money.  But that wasn't the case.  I wasn't losing anything by taking the time off.

The Bible tells us the honor our parents, its one of the commandments.  I know that there are some situations where this task can be difficult and I know that there are some situations where it is impossible. But I try to honor my parents for no other reason but the fact that they are my parents.  It doesn't mean that I have to do everything that they say, be obedient or submissive to their commands.  It does not mean that I cannot stand up for myself and say what I need to say to them.  But I do believe that it does mean giving them a higher level of respect. I don't always get it right, but I do try. Even though they may not always be there for me, I will always be there for them.

Ephesians 6:2-3 (KJV)2Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; 3That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

P.S.- I gave the money back, he just doesn't know it yet, I hid it under some of his things so he wouldn't try to give it back to me.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment