2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sabbath

Jesus is considered by scholars such as Weber ...Image via Wikipedia
If you google Sabbath, you will get the following results:

Sabbath or a sabbath is generally a weekly day of rest and/or time of worship that is observed in Abrahamic religions and other faiths. The term "Sabbath" derives from the Hebrew shabbat (שבת), "to cease", which was first used in the Biblical account of the seventh day of Creation (Genesis 2:2-3). Observation and remembrance of Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments.

I'm a sabbathkeeper, I don't do it because I think it will save me or get me into Heaven and I don't keep it to be a legalist. I keep it simply because I need it. God knew what he was doing when he created the seventh-day for rest. Do you think God needed a day of rest, I mean he is God, I doubt He gets tired.

Mark 2:27- Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

I also grew up on a sabbathkeeping home and I always dreaded Sabbath coming around. I always felt like it was punishment more than anything else. My dad was really strict when I was growing up and my siblings and I couldn't do anything but take a nap. We couldn't watch TV or go to the mall or listen to the radio, it was pure torture. It was a burden.

As I got older I grew to appreciate it more and more. After a week of work my body and my spirit couldn't wait for a day off from the world. No TV or radio sounds so good to me now. But times do change and we do things a little different at my home. My children are allowed to watch TV as long as it is Christ centered programs and they can listen to music as long as that is Christ centered also, we also spend a lot of time outside, taking walks and sometimes we visit others. I don't ever want my children to feel the way about the Sabbath that I did when I was a kid. I do want them to know that there is a difference to this day and that it should be set aside from other days and hopefully when they grow up they will appreciate it as much as I do.

I urge anyone who is able to try it, your body and spirit won't know what hit them. Take a day off from the world.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment