2 Corinthians 12:9-10

New International Version (NIV)

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Greatest Comeback

Now I am the type of person that always thinks of the perfect comeback hours later after the fact. Every once in awhile I will come up with something decent right away. The best comeback that I came up with recently was for mother's day. I wasn't feeling well and some friends of ours were having a get together at their house and my husband really wanted to go. Knowing that I wasn't feeling well and wanted to stay home to rest he asked me "are you going to be able to keep the baby, because I won't be able to do much with both kids". You can imagine I wasn't very happy, it was mothers day and I wasn't feeling well, so I said in a wifely, loving voice, "Sure, because it is all about you." He didn't say another word and yes he did bring both kids with him so I could rest.

The greatest comeback that I ever heard happened a long, long time ago. It happened around a place called Jerusalem. You see there was a Teacher there and he was in a temple teaching those that came to see Him. While he was there the Pharisees brought to him a women caught in the act of adultery. According to Mosaic law this was punishable by stoning. The Pharisees were testing this Teacher, they were trying to find some kind of fault with him. If He was really the son of God then He surely would not contradict the word of God. And in this particular case would be responsible for this women's death. After being continually challenged by the Pharisees, Jesus came back with the greatest comeback “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” (John 8:7)You can imagine that they were speechless and the story continues that all were "convicted by their conscience and went out one by one". His words saved her life.

What if our comebacks had that much meaning and weren't just for sarcasm or a good laugh? What if our comebacks had the ability to change a life, better yet save a life? Jesus did.

Even though my comeback did get my point across and I did get what I wanted, could I have handled it better?

No comments:

Post a Comment